This easy and simple zesty fluffy stretchy lemon ice cream recipe is so finger-lickin’ good. It’s been a huge hit lately with family and friends.
So here it goes. After a few iterations and improvements, we are pleased to share the recipe that you’ve all been waiting for!
There are two ways you can approach this. Both are totally worth making. So you can think of this post as two recipes in one.
- The first option is to go for a simple zesty finish that is just right.
- The second option is to opt for an absolutely creamy and stretchy gelato-like consistency.
The pictures in this post are from the creamy stretchy version.
In the creamy version, the guar gum will give you the creamy and stretchy consistency. Two teaspoons of the guar gum are more than enough to do the trick.
If you prefer a simple zesty and non-creamy result, skip the guar gum. In that case, it should take 25-30 minutes to reach the desired consistency in the ice cream maker.
The most important tip to remember is that the mixture must be very cold before you pour it in the ice cream maker. So, if the prep takes you a while to complete, place the mixture in the fridge for an hour to make sure it’s very cold before moving on. The colder the better!
In the mood for different flavors?Print
Make sure all liquid ingredients including the lemons are cold in the fridge before beginning.
Whisk the milk and guar gum very well in a bowl making sure you eliminate any clumping.
Add in all the remaining ingredients except the food coloring and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Add the food coloring drops and stir to incorporate and get the desired yellowish color.
If prep took you a while to complete, place the mixture in the fridge for an hour to make sure it’s very cold before moving on. The colder the better!
Pour the mixture in your running ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
In about 20 minutes, it should reach the desired creamy stretchy consistency. Do not run it longer than necessary; otherwise, the ice cream will melt and refreeze forming ice crystals.
Transfer to an air-tight tub and freeze for a couple of hours.
- Let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature before scooping. Enjoy!!!
- The guar gum, will give you the creamy and stretchy consistency. You can adjust if you like.
- If you prefer a simple zesty and non-creamy result, skip the guar gum. In that case, it should take 25-30 minutes to reach the desired consistency in the ice cream maker. We use the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment.
- Perhaps it goes without saying, but if this is your first time making ice cream, remember to leave the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer for about 24 hours before using.
Disclosure: This page includes links to sites we affiliate with. Purchasing through them will earn us a commission. Keep in mind that we only recommend the products and services that we believe in.