I can’t think of a food more perfect to cozy up with on a chilly Autumn evening. This Comforting Slow Cooker Kafta stew is rich, hearty and chunky. Filled with perfectly seasoned Kafta meatballs, potatoes and carrots, it doesn’t get any more satisfying than this.
My husband and I took last Friday off for a date ‘day.’ We like to do that every one in a while. Our little one goes to daycare as usual and we take the day off from work for some us time. It was so much fun and after a long day, we came home to a bowl of this comfort goodness.
Comfort foods and long weekends are some of the best things on earth! Seriously, like is there anything better than warm recipes that take you back to childhood or knowing that you have a 3 day-long weekend?!
They both make me feel warm and cozy on the inside. And if my husband knows anything about cold weather and his wife, it’s that if he hears the word cozy one more time…????
Kafta is spiced ground meat (beef or lamb) mixed with onions and parsley. I grew up eating it in stews, casseroles, barbecued skewers or as pan-fried patties. Kafta is so tender and impressively versatile, you’re likely to see it on most menus of Middle Eastern restaurants. To my husband and me, kafta brings back endless childhood memories filled with hummus, tabbouleh and fries!
I wanted to re-create this famous Lebanese stew using my Crock-pot. I added garlic to both my kafta and the stew for that extra garlic-y breath and I let the slow cooker do the rest of the work. ????
This stew is packed with so much comfort goodness and flavor, your day can only get better with a bowl of this stuff. Time to feel warm and cozy on the inside with Comforting Slow Cooker Kafta Stew!
What I’ve used in this recipe:
Here’s a complete list of my kitchen essentials
- Ground Beef or Lamb - 1 lb.
- Egg - 1.
- Dry Breadcrumbs - ½ cup.
- Zucchini - 1 - chopped.
- Onion, 1 - chopped.
- Parsley, - 1 bunch.
- Garlic - 2 cloves.
- Seven Spices - 2 tsp.
- Cinnamon - 2 tsp.
- Ground Coriander - 1 tsp.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Salt - 2 tsp.
- Baby Potatoes - 1.5 lbs.
- Baby Carrots - 2 cups.
- Tomatoes - 2 large - chopped.
- Chicken Broth - 5 cups.
- Tomato Paste - 3 tbsp.
- Garlic - 1 head peeled.
- Cinnamon Sticks - 1.
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper - to taste.
- Chopped Parsley - to taste.
- Add all Kafta Meatball ingredients except for the beef, egg and breadcrumbs into a food processor and pulse a few times just enough to roughly chop. (You don't want the mixture to get liquid-y)
- In a large bowl, add the mixture to the ground beef, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix together until well combined. Shape into bite sized balls.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high and brown meat balls on all sides OR bake for 10 minutes on each side at 350 degrees F.
- Add all stew ingredients into slow cooker and mix until well combined.
- Transfer browned meatballs into slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Taste check for additional salt or seasonings to your liking.
- Top with freshly cracked pepper and chopped parsley. Serve on top of rice.
COMFORTING SLOW COOKER KAFTA STEW
Disclosure: This page includes links to sites we affiliate with. Purchasing through them will earn us a commission. Keep in mind that we only recommend the products and services that we believe in.