Perfect dinner for a cool evening. Since this Vegetable Beef Barley Soup simmers for quite some time, it will fill your home with a warming scent! The spices create an aromatic experience and it reminds me of my home as a child, home sweet home.Print
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Stewing Meat – 2 lbs beef
- Onions – 1.5 cups chopped
- Garlic – 3 cloves minced
- Celery – 1 cup chopped
- Carrots – 2 cups chopped
- Zucchini – 1 cup chopped
- Peas – 1 cup frozen
- Corn – 1 cup frozen
- Kosher Salt – 1.5 tsp or to taste
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp or to taste
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp ground
- All Spice – 1 tsp ground
- Bay Leaves – 3
- Water – 8 cups
- Pearl Barley – 3/4 cup
- Chicken Bouillon – (optional)
- Heat oil in large soup pot on medium heat.
- Add beef, salt, pepper, cinnamon and all spice and mix well.
- Brown for a few minutes. If you see water/juices, keep browning until all liquids evaporate.
- When meat is browned, add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender. This step is very aromatic!
- Add celery, carrots, zucchini and stir well.
- Add water, bay leaves, chicken bouillon (optional) & bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 1.5 hours. The meat will be super tender!
- Add the barley and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add frozen peas, corn and keep simmering for an additional 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves and serve!
Disclosure: This page includes links to sites we affiliate with. Purchasing through them will earn us a commission. Keep in mind that we only recommend the products and services that we believe in.