Nothing screams SPRING or SUMMER more than fresh tender green asparagus. And nothing looks more enticing than THIS roasted asparagus creamy soup!
I love asparagus and cooking it as a side dish but my husband isn’t too fond of the taste. No matter how I’ve prepared it in the past; steamed/sautéed, roasted, boiled…you name it…not more than one piece managed to enter his mouth. Not until recently, this summer, when I whipped up my roasted asparagus creamy soup, his taste buds came around and would not skip a serving of this stuff! And that in itself says a lot because he could care less for soup in general.
It’s a vibrant soup with an amazing smooth texture. I mean did you see these pictures!? Did you see that amazing color? Who am I kidding. You’re not even reading this anymore. You’re already making…I mean eating this soup because it’s SO simple to make yet deliciously creamy and full of succulent asparagus flavor. I know. I knowww. I told you. It’s sooo goood! You’re welcome 🙂
For those of you still reading, roasting the asparagus with onion and garlic adds a deeper, more intense flavor to the soup. If you’ve ever tried boiling asparagus, you’ll definitely taste the difference here.
I also use nutritional yeast which adds a nutty/cheesy taste as well as protein! Some of you might be like hold on…what the helk is nutritional yeast? If you’ve never heard of or used nutritional yeast before, I know how strange this ingredient might sound. It’s a seasoning in the form of flakes and has a very distinct flavor. It’s a commonly used ingredient in vegetarian and vegan dishes as an alternative to cheese. I actually had a hard time finding some at the local grocery store so I ended up ordering Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning from Amazon.
The lemon juice and sour cream also add a refreshing tang. My mouth is watering just typing this! I can’t wait another minute to have another bowl of this stuff…and off I go!
What I’ve used in this recipe:
Here’s a complete list of my kitchen essentials.
Check out this healthy smoothie recipe that my husband made recently with the Vitamix.Print
This vibrant soup is SO simple to make yet deliciously creamy and full of succulent asparagus flavor.
- Asparagus – 2 lbs, large
- Olive Oil – 1-2 tbsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves, peeled
- Red Onion – 1/2, sliced
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth – 2 cups
- Dried Thyme – 1/2 tsp
- Almond Milk – 1/2 cup
- Nutritional Yeast – 2 tbsp
- Salt & Pepper – to taste
- Fresh Lemon Juice – a squeeze
- Sour Cream – a spoonful
- Green Onions – chopped, to taste
- Black Pepper – freshly cracked, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place asparagus, garlic and onion on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Roast for about 15-18 minutes or until tender. Make sure to not let them burn.
- Reserve some of the asparagus tips for garnish.
- Add the roasted asparagus mixture to a blender (I used Vitamix). Pour broth and blend using the soup option until hot.
- Lower speed and add the almond milk and nutritional yeast, blend for an additional 15 seconds just to combine.
- Taste check for any additional salt. (If not using a Vitamix, you can pour contents into a large pot to heat everything through).
- When serving, top with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice, some sour cream, reserved asparagus tips, chopped green onions and freshly cracked pepper.
Disclosure: This page includes links to sites we affiliate with. Purchasing through them will earn us a commission. Keep in mind that we only recommend the products and services that we believe in.