This Lebanese grilled lamb Kafta kabob recipe is a family staple for our family and many of our friends.
This version is made with lamb. But it can also be made with beef or with a mixture of lamb and beef.
The combination of lamb, parsley, onions and spices make this lamb Kafta kabob recipe so irresistible, especially when paired with the famous zesty Tabbouleh salad.
The form factor is totally up to you. You can make them as Kafta skewers or simply grill them as patties.
This lamb Kafta recipe depends on just a few key ingredients:
- Ground lamb
- Finely minced onions
- Finely minced parsley
- Oil & spices
We get our New Zealand Spring Ground Lamb from Costco. It is 85% lean and 15% fat. It comes in a package of 3, each of which is 16 oz or 1 lb.
Here’s how we make this Kafta:
Mix well with your hands the ground lamb with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Don’t add the 7 spices, black pepper, and salt all at once. Instead, add them gradually and ensure to incorporate well and evenly as you mix.
Soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes. Take about 1/4 cup of the mixture and form it into a small finger. Put the skewer through it and keep forming it into a longer finger around the skewer as you can see in the pictures. Make sure it’s formed tightly around the skewer and pinch the edges.
Gently place diagonally on a pre-heated grill. Grill on low-medium heat for a total of around 12 minutes or until done with nice grill marks all around.
Tip: Grill first for about 7 minutes. Then gently turn and grill for 3 minutes, turn again and grill for 2-3 minutes.
Do not force the initial turn if the Kafta is still sticking to the grill. You don’t want the Kafta to fall off the skewer.
- Ground Lamb, 2 lb.
- Onions finely chopped, 1.5 cups
- Parsley finely chopped, 1 bunch
- 7 Spices, 4 tsp
- Salt, 3 tsp
- Black pepper, 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil, 2 tbsp
- Mince parsley finely.
- Mince onions finely. (the smaller the better)
- Place the ground lamb in a large bowl.
- Add the oil.
- Start mixing and adding the parsley, 7 spices, salt and black pepper gradually.
- Keep mixing by hand to fully incorporate all the ingredients evenly.
- Form about 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time into a small finger.
- Put a skewer through the finger right smack in the middle.
- Keep forming the Kafta into a longer finger nicely around the skewer.
- Pinch the edges to ensure the Kafta is held tightly.
- Place diagonally on the grates of a pre-heated grill.
- Grill on low-medium heat for around 7 minutes initially.
- Gently turn while paying attention not to force the turn in case the Kafta is still sticking to the grill. You should allow enough time initially for the meat to separate itself naturally from the grates.
- Grill for 3 minutes.
- Turn and grill for 2-3 or until done and you see the glorious grill marks all around.
- Enjoy with your favorite sides or better yet a Tabbouleh Lebanese Salad!
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 241
- Sodium: 912
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Protein: 17
Disclosure: This page includes links to sites we affiliate with. Purchasing through them will earn us a commission. Keep in mind that we only recommend the products and services that we believe in.