I love Ashta – a Lebanese pastry cream. I wanted to create a simple/easy dessert containing it and voila! Introducing: Phyllo Ashta Shells. The shells are easy to find here:
These Phyllo (fillo) mini shells are filled with Ashta sprinkled with ground pistachios & topped with an orange blossom syrup. This light, crunchy and scented dessert will melt in your mouth and leave your taste buds craving for more.
I recommend using a mixing utensil that is new/clean. The Ashta cream filling and syrup will absorb any food flavors previously engrossed in wooden spoons or other extensively used utensils. You don’t want to end up with a garlic flavored dessert!
The lemon juice added to the syrup is extremely important in keeping it from crystallizing when stored for longer periods. I store in the fridge for weeks.
Phyllo Ashta Shells with Pistachios
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4
- Mini Fillo (Phyllo) Shells
- Pistachios – ground – unsalted raw or roasted
- White Sandwich Bread – 5 slices
- Half-and-Half – 2 1/4 cups
- Cornstarch – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 1/2 tsp
- Orange Blossom Water – 1/2 tsp
- Rose Water – 1/2 tsp
Orange Blossom Syrup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Water – 1 cup
- Fresh Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp strained
- Orange Blossom Water – 1/2 tbsp
To prepare the syrup:
- Dissolve the sugar with the water and mix well in a saucepan.
- Place over high heat and keep uncovered.
- Once the mixture comes to a rolling boil, leave it boil for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and orange blossom water.
- Return to a boil for an additional 15 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely at room temperature.
To prepare the Ashta cream filling:
- Remove and discard the crusts from the bread slices then cut the bread into 1 inch pieces.
- In a non-stick saucepan, combine all the ingredients and place over medium-high heat.
- Stir occasionally until mixture begins to bubble around the edges.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook stirring constantly until nice and thick (about 3 minutes). Remove from the heat and cool completely at room temperature.
- Store and cool in the fridge for a couple of hours to thicken completely.
- Fill the phyllo cups with the Ashta, sprinkle with pistachios and top with the syrup. Enjoy!
Disclosure: This page includes links to sites we affiliate with. Purchasing through them will earn us a commission. Keep in mind that we only recommend the products and services that we believe in.
can I add some cocoa powder or nutella hazelnut spread to get various flavors or the bread will affect the final taste??
Should be fine! Let me know how it turns out!
can i add melted chocolate/nutella spread to get a chocolate flavored-ashta or the bread taste will remain noticeable??
You certainly can! Let me know how it turns out!!!