Nothing will warm your soul and keep you cozy like this ridiculously easy and delicious Buttery Instant Pot Pigeon Pea Dal!
It’s been so cold over here and all I want is warm and comforting foods like this bowl of heaven above.
I love the buttery texture of these lentils with all the different flavors of the spices mixed in with rice. The combination is so fulfilling and satisfying. I find myself getting seconds though my belly is very full. It’s just so tasty that I can’t get enough of this stuff!
By the way, I’m SO loving my Instant Pot!!! This has been the best kitchen appliance purchase. Especially in the 3rd trimester, I’m too tired to stand in the kitchen for too long. This Instant Pot has been so convenient! It’s a single kitchen appliance that does the job of seven different ones. It cuts down on cooking times and on dirty dishes! #WinWin
Instant Pot, Instant Pot, Instant Pot! You’re so AMAZING!! ???? in my head, I’m whispering this like Maui does to Moana. ????
This recipe is done in no time using the Instant Pot and it comes out so beautifully. Leftovers are even more amazing the next day. The lentils tend to thicken overnight. You can enjoy as is or add in a bit of water when reheating if you prefer a thinner consistency.
The really awesome part here is that this recipe is so simple, clean and nutritious. You’ll feel good about yourself eating this bowl of yumminess.
My mouth is watering just looking at these pictures!
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. Buttery Instant Pot Pigeon Pea Dal will definitely become a January staple for us and could for your too! ???? Enjoy!
What I’ve used in this recipe:
Here’s a complete list of my kitchen essentials
- Pigeon Pea Lentils (Toor Dal) - ½ cup dry, rinsed.
- Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp.
- Onion - 1 medium, chopped.
- Garlic - 2, minced.
- Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp
- Ground Cumin - 1 tsp
- Ground Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Ground Coriander - 1 tsp
- Ground Ginger - 1 tsp
- Cayenne Pepper - ¼ tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp (or to taste)
- Cherry Tomatoes - 1 cup, sliced in half.
- Water - 2 cups
- Lemon Juice - 2 tsp
- Cilantro - for garnish (optional)
- Press saute mode on Instant Pot. Add oil and once hot, add cumin seeds and let crackle.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, all remaining spices and saute until fragrant and onions turn golden brown in color.
- Add in the tomatoes, rinsed dal and water. Mix well, scraping any bits and pieces from the bottom of the pot.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and cancel saute mode. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Once 10 minutes are up, wait 5 minutes and then release the pressure.
- Add in lemon juice, adjust salt as needed and mix well.
- Serve topped with cilantro if desired over rice.
BUTTERY INSTANT POT PIGEON PEA DAL
Disclosure: This page includes links to sites we affiliate with. Purchasing through them will earn us a commission. Keep in mind that we only recommend the products and services that we believe in.