These halloween sugar cookies are so easy to make and decorate.
With 30 minutes to prep and 12 minutes to bake, you can’t go wrong with these simple sugar cookies this Halloween.
For the decoration, I used cookie icing. You can choose to make your own if you prefer.Print
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- Soften the butter at room temperature for 30 minutes (or more if you will mix by hand).
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt by hand or using a mixer.
- In another large bowl, preferably in a mixer, beat the sugar and butter until you reach a fluffy consistency.
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla extract and continue beating until well incorporated.
- Add in gradually the dry mixture of flour, baking powder and salt as the mixer is running on medium speed. Keep mixing until fully combined.
- Shape the dough mixture by hand into a disk. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Dust the countertop with flour and roll the dough to a 3 to 4 mm thin layer.
- Cut out the shapes with your favorite cookie cutters.
- Transfer to thin baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes on the middle rack in a pre-heated oven at 350º.
- Remove promptly from the oven when lightly browned around the edges.
- Let the cookies cool down completely before decorating with icing.
Ensure that you let the cookies cool completely before decorating to avoid the icing from melting.
This batch should yield about 40 cookies but it will vary depending on the size of your cookie cutters.
Disclosure: This page includes links to sites we affiliate with. Purchasing through them will earn us a commission. Keep in mind that we only recommend the products and services that we believe in.