Nothing will warm your soul and keep you cozy like this ridiculously easy and delicious Buttery Instant Pot Pigeon Pea Dal!
- Split Pigeon Peas Lentils (Toor Dal) – 1/2 cup dry, rinsed.
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Onion – 1 medium, chopped.
- Garlic – 2, minced.
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cumin – 1 tsp
- Ground Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Ground Coriander – 1 tsp
- Ground Ginger – 1 tsp
- Cayenne Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp (or to taste)
- Cherry Tomatoes – 1 cup, sliced in half.
- Water – 2 cups
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Cilantro – for garnish (optional)
- Press saute mode on Instant Pot. Add oil and once hot, add cumin seeds and let crackle.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, all remaining spices and saute until fragrant and onions turn golden brown in color.
- Add in the tomatoes, rinsed dal and water. Mix well, scraping any bits and pieces from the bottom of the pot.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and cancel saute mode. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Once 10 minutes are up, wait 5 minutes and then release the pressure.
- Add in lemon juice, adjust salt as needed and mix well.
- Serve topped with cilantro if desired over rice.
The peas must be Split Pigeon Peas, NOT Pigeon Peas. Thanks to those of you who commented to help clarify this!