This casserole is filled with tender crisp green beans, rich with mushroom deliciousness that is smothered in cashew cream heaven and topped with perfect crispy onions.
- Green Beans – 1.5 lbs, ends trimmed and washed
- Red Onion – 1/2 large, sliced
- Baby Bella Mushrooms – 1 lb, sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Crispy Onions (Fresh Gourmet Lightly Salted) – 1 cup
- Raw Cashews – 1 cup, soaked in cold water, covered and refrigerated for at least 2 hours then drained
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Dried Thyme – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet and sautee mushrooms and onions until juices have reduced.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, blend drained cashews with water, garlic, thyme, pepper and garlic salt until creamy. Add additional water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- In a large bowl combine the beans, cooked mushrooms and onions and mix well with the cashew cream.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 35 minutes.
- Add the Crispy Onions then bake again for another 5 minutes.
– These beans are tender crisp. If you prefer them more tender, you can blanch the beans before baking. To blanch, bring a large pot of water to a boil then add beans and cook for 5 minutes. Cool the beans quickly by plunging them into ice water.
– Inspired by Lisa’s recipe Green Bean Casserole CEBH Style.