- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1.25 tsp lemon extract
- 1–2 tsp guar gum (the more the stretchier)
- 1 tsp of orange blossom water (optional)
- 5 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
Make sure all liquid ingredients including the lemons are cold in the fridge before beginning.
Whisk the milk and guar gum very well in a bowl making sure you eliminate any clumping.
Add in all the remaining ingredients except the food coloring and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Add the food coloring drops and stir to incorporate and get the desired yellowish color.
If prep took you a while to complete, place the mixture in the fridge for an hour to make sure it’s very cold before moving on. The colder the better!
Pour the mixture in your running ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
In about 20 minutes, it should reach the desired creamy stretchy consistency. Do not run it longer than necessary; otherwise, the ice cream will melt and refreeze forming ice crystals.
Transfer to an air-tight tub and freeze for a couple of hours.
- Let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature before scooping. Enjoy!!!
- The guar gum, will give you the creamy and stretchy consistency. You can adjust if you like.
- If you prefer a simple zesty and non-creamy result, skip the guar gum. In that case, it should take 25-30 minutes to reach the desired consistency in the ice cream maker. We use the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment.
- Perhaps it goes without saying, but if this is your first time making ice cream, remember to leave the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer for about 24 hours before using.