- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Red Onion – 1/2, chopped.
- Red Lentils – 2 cups, rinsed.
- Cumin – 2 tsp, or more to taste.
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp, or more to taste.
- Water – 8 cups.
- Lemon – 1, juiced.
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute chopped onion with the cumin, cinnamon & salt until fragrant and tender. 5 minutes.
- Add the red lentils, water and turmeric and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft and tender. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve with chopped parsley and freshly cracked pepper.
Leftovers taste just as great and this can last up to 5 days refrigerated.
The beauty in this recipe is in its simplicity but you can certainly use broth instead of water and add other spices to your liking.