Sometimes I just want PIZZA! An amazing cheesy pizza.
For breakfast. Kidding. Not really…wait what?…you too? I’m not the only one who occasionally craves pizza for breakfast? Now, you might be the only one who actually eats said craved pizza for breakfast but we’ll just keep that a secret amongst us.
Don’t worry, your secret is safe with moi ← proceeds to wipe pizza sauce off lips at 9am.
It’s really not our fault we love pizza so much. Right when we take that first warm bite filled with melted gooey cheese, our taste buds are stimulated by all the flavors (and crack – I swear they put crack on there) so we get hooked and don’t want it to ever end.
But for some reason, and I don’t want to come off as a whiner, I’m just not too fond of the upset stomach that usually follows bought greasy pizzas. Because who wants an upset stomach at 10am?! Am I right?
In an effort to avoid paper-toweling greasy residue off pizza; I decided to make my own healthy home-made version instead. Introducing the amazing Flax Whole Wheat Kale Pizza!
I love the brick oven taste of authentic Italian pizzas. And, though I failed at convincing my husband to build me my own oven, I was able to purchase this pizza stone from amazon. I LOVE it! The stone duplicates the results of stone ovens leaving you with a great quality and crispy pizza crust – made in the comfort of your own home and good old conventional oven. The stone heats evenly and retains heat well so your pizza will still be warm a while after it’s out of the oven. Moral of the story, GET the pizza stone!
And talk about healthy. Can it get any healthier than this? Flax whole wheat crust topped with amazing colorful tomatoes, kale and mushrooms. Ok, and gooey melted cheese. YES! And the combination tastes pretty darn good.
This pizza crust recipe makes 2 thin pizzas or one thick crusted pizza. I made my pizza sauceless (was curious how it’d turn out) and I dipped the pizza slices/crust in store-bought sauce while eating instead. Turned out pretty amazing! I will get fancy later with home-made pizza sauce. But for now, I’m enjoying my Flax Whole Wheat Kale Pizza – with no paper-towels needed.
What I’ve used in this recipe:
Here’s a complete list of my kitchen essentialsPrint
Healthiest home-made Flax Whole Wheat Kale Pizza you’ll ever have!
Pizza Crust (makes 2 thin pizzas or 1 thick crusted pizza)
- Active Dry Yeast – 1 package (2+1/4 tsp).
- Water – 1 cup warm (110 degrees F).
- Honey – 1 tbsp.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup.
- All Purpose Flour – 1+1/4 cups.
- Ground Flax Seed Meal – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Black Pepper – 1/8 tsp.
- Cornmeal – 2 tbsp.
- Olive Oil
Toppings (for one pizza)
- Pizza Sauce – of your choice, to taste.
- Cheese – 1.5 cups of choice, I used shredded mozzarella.
- Kale – 1 cup, leaves torn and stems removed.
- Mushrooms – 1.5 cups, sliced.
- Tomato – 1 thinly sliced.
- In a large bowl, dissolve honey and yeast in warm water and let sit for 10 minutes. Then, gently add flour, flax, salt and pepper into yeast mixture, stir until a soft dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until soft and elastic, adding additional flour as needed so dough doesn’t stick to hands. 5 minutes.
- Return dough to large bowl, coat with olive oil on all sides, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and place stone in oven.
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sautee mushrooms until softened, about 3 minutes. Add kale and cook until wilted, another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12-inch circle and crimp edges of dough to form a rim/thicker crust. (Dough makes 2 thin pizzas or on thick crusted pizza)
- Sprinkle cornmeal on a peel or very thin cookie sheet and place pizza dough on it.
- Spread pizza sauce (I made my pizza sauceless).
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Add remaining toppings then sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
- Carefully transfer pizza onto hot pizza stone and bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on crust thickness) or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
Flax Whole Wheat Kale Pizza
Disclosure: This page includes links to sites we affiliate with. Purchasing through them will earn us a commission. Keep in mind that we only recommend the products and services that we believe in.